2016 was an amazing year at the Land Trust. Here are a few highlights.
A Wildlife Tunnel!
- We secured the funds necessary to protect the last property around the tunnel (170 acres west of Highway 17).
- The California Transportation Commission granted $3.2 million for the design and engineering.
- Measure D passed, providing $5 million for construction. The tentative construction date is in 2020!
The Rail Trail!
- There is full design and construction funding from the Santa Cruz Wharf to Panther Beach on the North Coast and the trails are expected to be open next year!
- We also have design and engineering funds for the last two miles from Panther Beach to Davenport and from the wharf to 17thAvenue in Live Oak.
- With the approval of $85 million in Measure D, we could have most of the Rail Trail built in ten years!
San Vicente Redwoods Trails!
- We have spent more than two years and $1 million designing 38 miles of hiking, equestrian, and mountain biking trails through this 8,500-acre property.
- We took the first steps to create a County Ranger program to patrol the trails when they open.
- We protected 124 acres of farmland and will protect another 47 acres this year.
- We protected another 15 acres of Sandhills habitat.
Grants and Donations
- Since we launched the Great Land & Trails Campaign in 2015, we have received $19 million in grants
- and raised more than $13.5 million (and counting) in donations.
If you are among those who donated, thank you!
If you weren’t (or want to make another gift) please make a donation now, before the end of our campaign on January 31st, so we can complete all these great projects and more!
Looking forward to another great year!